What's a birthday celebration without a cake, eh!? Well, for Patch Daddy, it's GREAT!! He's not a cake fan...so for him, it'll be a sundae bar or caramel apple pie, the decision is his. However, Emery's birthday is next month and the theme is rainbow (invites going out soon). I pinned a cake on pinterest - http://www.omnomicon.com/rainbowcake (where you've pinned TONS yourself, I betcha) that I was considering making for her birthday. I needed to test it out first, yes? Today was the day, as it IS birthday week here.
First, mix up a white cake mix out of the box...then divide the batter up equally in six bowls. Then, add your food coloring. This is where I went out on my own and used the liquid food coloring that we all have in our spice cabinet. If you clicked on the link above, she used gel and her colors are MUCH MORE BOLD. Yes, she even stated that they would be. I just didn't want to invest in the gel when I had the liquid already.
Use two round cake pans and drop in your ROYGBIV batter and let each color spread, minus the I..so, ROYGBV.
I did the last three colors (purple, blue and green) in one pan
First three colors (yellow, orange, red) in the second pan
I iced with a can of cream cheese frosting.
ARE YOU EXCITED!?!?!?!
Then the fun part...I was so anxious to see how it turned out when cut (maybe like that anxiousness of the gender reveal parties that are so hot these days - cutting into PINK or BLUE...you're right, probably not that anxious, but still very excited....)
It is colorful, rainbow-like and a fun diversion from a typical white, yellow or chocolate cake. And yes, the gels would have made this a lot more colorful. Overall, I'm pleased with the pretty cake...but I don't think I will make it for the rainbow themed party next month. Guess I need to start pinning again....
Check back this week for more fun birthday themed posts from this momma, who loves to DIY (guess I should say DIM (myself) ) and share the excitement with everyone else.
Since I have my cake, guess I need to go "eat it too!"
CHEERS and CELEBRATE!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.