Blog of life...our life, with a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

Blog of life...our life, with a little bit of this and a little bit of that!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010













Happy September to all...and what a happy one it's been. We welcomed Emery Elizabeth Petry into our lives at 3:12pm on Thursday, 9/9/10.

Let's start at the beginning....I had a day off of work on Wednesday, 9/8, just to lay low and for my 38wk appt. I was 2cm dilated at the appt and like the doc said, I could walk around for a couple more weeks just like that. I took a nap that afternoon and just wasn't feeling too hot. Layin on the couch that night, I was having "period-like" cramps and had been thinking to myself all day that tonight was the night. I hadn't said that to Patrick though. We went to bed around 10 and I woke up a little before 11 with what I assumed were contractions. I didn't wake Patrick up though. Just got up and walked around and got back in bed. I finally woke Patrick at midnight and he assumed they were Braxton Hicks (which I hadn't had yet and it was my turn for these!!) Finally, he began timing them and said, "I guess we should go," as they were 4 minutes apart and consistent. We got to the hospital at 1am and were taken to Labor & Delivery. They weren't sure if they were going to be keeping me or possibly going to send me home after they got my "pain" under control. They gave me an IV of Stadol which did not help with progression or pain. The doc then ordered an IV of morphine/phenagran. Honestly, these drugs didn't do much for the pain. They knocked me out and looped me up to be woken every 4 minutes in pain. No joke, time was standing still! Finally, at 10am, the nurse came in and said that the doc said to go ahead with the eppidural. Patrick says, "so, we're having a baby today???" and the nurse assured him that was the plan. As you all know, I am a WIMP when it comes to needles and still hadn't decided on the eppidural route. I was talking to the nurse about it and as I endured another contraction during this conversation, I WAS SOLD! The anesthesiogist got the eppidural in at 11am (which was no sweat, just like everyone had been telling me) and the remainder of my experience was pure joy and I say that whole-heartedly. I laid in the room with Patrick, my Mom, followed by Patrick's Mom and then my sister, Sarah. We were all just talking and laughing as we anxiously awaited Emery's debut. The nurse came in a little before 2pm and announced that I was 10cm. She had the nurses flip me from side to side every 30 minutes to help "move Emery down." She came in at 3pm and said it was time to start pushing. The room cleared of all except for Patrick...I started pushing a couple minutes after 3 and Emery made her debut eight minutes later. I felt no pain and was so encouraged by the smiles and encouraging words given by Patrick, Dr. Mahan and the nurses. I realize that not all labors are that "easy," but I truly believe that having an experienced OB helped speed the process up. Like Patrick keeps telling people, "the entire experience post-eppidural makes me want to do it again."
Emery came out weighing 7lbs, 2oz and measuring 19in long. Right before she was born, we were all going around the room guessing her birth weight, and me being the carrying mother, guessed her at 7lbs, 3oz. Kinda like I just thought that night was going to be the night. Those motherly instincts at work, I suppose!!

Things are going well during our first days at home. We are adjusting, as needed....sleeping when we can, smiling a lot and just cherishing our blessed gift!

We look forward to having all of you blog followers meet Emery Elizabeth Petry very soon. We hope this finds you well.


XO

The Petry's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.